Friday 15 August 2014

(Father) Christmas in August

Roundel motifs observed at the tomb of St Nicholas, Myra, reproduced in pencil, watercolour and inktense
Over the years I've noted it is de rigueur for designer-makers to flaunt their organisational prowess by producing Christmas goods in summer. Frankly, if I have gotten around to producing a card design by November I consider that pretty good going. Last year I didn't bother with seasonal goods at all.

This year I have been inspired to create by a visit to Father Christmas's tomb. In truth the tomb of  St Nicholas at Myra, Turkey probably contains very little of the man himself but the fresco and mosaics in the Byzantine Church are stunning.

Opus sectile (marble mosaic) floor at the tomb of St Nicholas, Myra

Fresco, St Nicholas, Myra

Fresco, St Nicholas, Myra

Fresco, St Nicholas, Myra

Fresco, St Nicholas, Myra

The image at the top of this post was a little exercise in drawing and painting that I originally started for #drawingaugust on twitter. But now I am trying to convince myself it might be the beginnings of a Christmas card design. Christmas 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails